- 1 What is a legal writing sample?
- 2 How do you write a legal writing sample?
- 3 What should a legal writing sample look like?
- 4 How long can a legal writing sample be?
- 5 What do you use as a writing sample?
- 6 What is an unedited writing sample?
- 7 What makes good legal writing?
- 8 Should you redact a writing sample?
- 9 How long is a short writing sample?
- 10 What are the categories of legal writing?
- 11 Should writing samples be in PDF?
- 12 Should a legal writing sample be double spaced?
- 13 How long should a writing sample be clerkship?
What is a legal writing sample?
Legal Reasoning—A writing sample must demonstrate your legal reasoning and analytical skills, i.e., apply law to facts, and distinguish cases on their facts. Thus, an academic survey of case law or a note that summarizes a recently published decision is not the best choice as it does not include legal analysis.
How do you write a legal writing sample?
Your writing sample should be recent work product that is from your practice experience. Be sure that it can be shared without disclosing confidential information. It is important that whichever sample you choose is wholly your own work, with minimal editing from partners or senior attorneys.
What should a legal writing sample look like?
Select a sample that is sufficiently recent to demonstrate your current writing and analysis skills.
- Attach a cover memo that spells out context for the sample.
- Consider omitting portions of the sample to keep it in the 8 – 12 page range.
- Make sure your formatting is reader-friendly and professional.
How long can a legal writing sample be?
Typically, the length of a writing sample for legal jobs ranges from 8 to 20 pages. This should be considered the legal writing sample format as it provides the firm with sufficient information for evaluation.
What do you use as a writing sample?
How do I choose a writing sample?
- Research papers from a job or class.
- Narrative papers from a job or class.
- Other writing assignments.
- Blog posts.
- Press releases.
- Articles or other contributions.
What is an unedited writing sample?
Many employers will request an “unedited” writing sample. This means that the work must be substantially your own and should not have been edited by another person. You may personally edit any document, including one that was produced at a law-related job.
What makes good legal writing?
The Article then provides an analysis of the fundamental qualities that enable legal writing to do this, concluding that there are three such qualities: clarity, conciseness, and the ability to appropriately engage the reader.
Should you redact a writing sample?
Be sure the writing is redacted for any confidential information, if necessary. In particular, redact the client/parties’ names and any other key identifying items. Some decision-makers will give the writing sample more weight; others will not read it at all.
How long is a short writing sample?
In most cases, your writing sample should be around 750 words or between one and two pages. Like your resume, employers have a limited amount of time to review your writing sample. A brief, impactful writing sample is better than a long, less impressive one.
What are the categories of legal writing?
Legal writing is of two, broad categories: (i) legal analysis and (ii) legal drafting. Legal analysis is two-fold: (1) predictive analysis, and (2) persuasive analysis.
Should writing samples be in PDF?
When sending your writing sample you should save the paper as a PDF so the formatting does not change when it is sent.
Should a legal writing sample be double spaced?
What is the proper format? Page length: 5 to 10 pages, double-spaced. The writing sample, including the cover page, should fit into the employer’s given page limit. You should also include a header or footer with your name and page number on every page.
How long should a writing sample be clerkship?
Application Process: Writing Samples Your writing sample must be well-organized, free of typographical and grammatical errors, and demonstrate your legal research and analytical skills. Although there is not typically an official page limit, your sample should be from 8-15 pages.