- 1 What exotic animals are legal in the state of Georgia?
- 2 Are Pigs illegal in Georgia?
- 3 What animals are illegal to have as pets in Georgia?
- 4 Are monkeys legal in Georgia?
- 5 Can you own a sloth in Georgia?
- 6 Can I own a platypus?
- 7 Can I own a pig in Atlanta?
- 8 Is it illegal to bury a pet in your backyard in Georgia?
- 9 What dogs are illegal in Georgia?
- 10 Can I own a raccoon in Georgia?
- 11 Can you own a wolf in Georgia?
- 12 Can I own a hedgehog in Georgia?
- 13 Are there wild monkeys in Georgia?
- 14 Can you own a tamarin monkey?
- 15 Can I own a tiger in Georgia?
What exotic animals are legal in the state of Georgia?
- Insectivores (shrews, moles, hedgehogs, tenrecs, etc.
- Flying lemurs; all species.
- Bats; all species.
- Primates (monkeys, apes, etc.
- Sloths, armadillos, etc.; all species.
- Pangolins or scaly anteaters; all species.
- Rabbits and hares; all species except those normally domesticated.
Are Pigs illegal in Georgia?
The pot-bellied pig, for example, is illegal to own in certain areas. Some laws restricting ownership of exotic or wildlife as pets are enforced statewide by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division.
What animals are illegal to have as pets in Georgia?
The list includes rodents such as the capybara or prairie dog, any type of primate, raptors, dolphins and whales, foxes, bears, wallabies and kangaroos, and many more. While Asian elephants are domesticated in the Far East, that’s not the case in Georgia, so both the Asian and African elephant make the prohibited list.
Are monkeys legal in Georgia?
In Georgia, all species of apes are classified as “inherently dangerous” animals and as a result are among the most heavily regulated animals in the state. Under the Wild Animals Law, it is illegal to possess or sell chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, bonobos, and gibbons for use as pets.
Can you own a sloth in Georgia?
Georgia prohibits individuals from owning certain exotic species regulated under Georgia law, including sloths. These exotic animals typically do not make very good pets, even though they may appear cuddly and adorable. Therefore, if you own a sloth in Georgia, you are breaking the law.
Can I own a platypus?
Platypus are difficult and expensive animals to keep in captivity, even for major zoos and research institutions. Sensibly, platypus cannot be legally kept as pets in Australia, nor are there currently any legal options for exporting them overseas.
Can I own a pig in Atlanta?
According to Atlanta ordinances, you may only keep a maximum of one pot bellied pig in your Metro Atlanta home. Also, FYI, with the exception of pot bellied pigs, it is illegal to keep any other type of pigs or hogs within city limits.
Is it illegal to bury a pet in your backyard in Georgia?
Although it’s legal in the state of Georgia to lay your pet to rest in your own backyard, some municipalities have separate ordinances. Backyard pet burial is not authorized in the city of Atlanta, for example, but there are no ordinances against it in Alpharetta, Decatur, Roswell, or Peachtree City.
What dogs are illegal in Georgia?
What Are the Dog Breed Restrictions in Georgia?
- Clarkston – Rottweilers and Pit bulls are banned from off-leash city parks;
- College Park – Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and German Shepherds are all considered potentially dangerous;
- Dawson – Pit bulls are considered potentially dangerous;
Can I own a raccoon in Georgia?
By Georgia Law, most native species of wildlife cannot be held without permits or licenses. These licenses are not issued for the purpose of holding native wildlife as pets.
Can you own a wolf in Georgia?
Wolves are considered “wild” animals in Georgia and are not allowed as pets. A wild animal is defined as “any animal which is not wildlife and is not normally a domestic species in the state. Wolf-hybrids are not a legal pet in Georgia. (Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Law Enforcement Division).
Can I own a hedgehog in Georgia?
The State of Georgia joins Maine, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and California as the only five states in the country where it’s illegal to own a pet hedgehog. The Georgia DNR cited many reasons why hedgehogs would not make good pets in a joint agency briefing with the Georgia Department of Agriculture.
Are there wild monkeys in Georgia?
VALDOSTA — South Georgia is on monkey alert following sightings in the Albany area. A small primate, possibly a Rhesus macaque, is believed to be on the loose in the Albany area, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The DNR says the monkey should not be handled as it is a wild animal.
Can you own a tamarin monkey?
Monkeys, apes, primates and several other types of exotic pets are illegal to own as pets in the state of California according to California Code of Regulations Chapter 3 section 671.
Can I own a tiger in Georgia?
By law, wild animals or exotic animals, including tigers, are not permitted to be kept as pets in Georgia. Only businesses who also have a USDA license can obtain a Wild Animal License to own a tiger in Georgia. The fact is that tigers are not domesticated pets.